Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PC Thread

+3
warrior00
MrMarioMan
Yggdrasill
7 posters

Go down

PC Thread Empty PC Thread

Post by Yggdrasill Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:30 pm

Just talk about anything PC related.

I'm looking for a bag for my studio 17 laptop(17.3 inch). Does anyone know any good website to order one? I was looking on Amazon but they are all crappy cheap ones.
Yggdrasill
Yggdrasill
Snift

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

PC Thread Empty Re: PC Thread

Post by MrMarioMan Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:09 pm

What sort of bag are you looking for Ygg? Backpack, satchel, something small and dedicated to just the laptop or something with loads of pockets that could hold some books/notepads etc aswell?

Dabs.ie have some, but they tend to be more business-style bags, might not to be your liking.
Click.ie have a 20% off sale this weekend on their laptop bags.
Komplett have a few, and it's free P+P at the moment.
Pixmania have a pretty big catalogue, should be something there.
And aslong as you don't mind giving money to them, Apple (here and here) is worth a go.

Might be worth having a look at this website, it specializes in 17" laptop bags.
I'll post more links if I can think of any.
MrMarioMan
MrMarioMan
Whomp

Wiffy Veteran

http://www.twitter.com/CathalRodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post by Yggdrasill Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:39 pm

MrMarioMan wrote:What sort of bag are you looking for Ygg? Backpack, satchel, something small and dedicated to just the laptop or something with loads of pockets that could hold some books/notepads etc aswell?

Dabs.ie have some, but they tend to be more business-style bags, might not to be your liking.
Click.ie have a 20% off sale this weekend on their laptop bags.
Komplett have a few, and it's free P+P at the moment.
Pixmania have a pretty big catalogue, should be something there.
And aslong as you don't mind giving money to them, Apple (here and here) is worth a go.

Might be worth having a look at this website, it specializes in 17" laptop bags.
I'll post more links if I can think of any.

Thanks for all the links. I'm just looking for one to hold the laptop and it's charger really, doesn't need to be able to hold books.
Yggdrasill
Yggdrasill
Snift

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Yggdrasill Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:53 pm

Is there anyway to convert a 32 bit program to 64bit? One of my lectures wants us to use a program from 1995 and when I try to open it on my laptop it says it will only open on 32bit computers.
Yggdrasill
Yggdrasill
Snift

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by warrior00 Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:44 pm

No unless u had the source code and were able to program in the language the source code was programmed in and re-write the program to run.

But on a side note it should run on 64bit computers if it is just a program.
The only things that wont work is drivers that were built for either 32bit or 64bit.
What is the program??
warrior00
warrior00
Dry Bones

Back to top Go down

Post by phlegms Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:46 pm

Try running it in xp mode?
phlegms
phlegms
Bomb-Omb

Wiffy Veteran

http://www.elliswitcher.com

Back to top Go down

Post by phlegms Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:48 pm

To do that, btw, just right click on the app you want to run, properties, compatibility and select run in compatibility mode and select what compatibility you want it to run in.
phlegms
phlegms
Bomb-Omb

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Yggdrasill Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:32 pm

Tried running it in xp mode before and it didn't work. Don't know what the application is called. It's an application for making sample tests and he has sample questions and stuff in it.

PC Thread Iamerror

Yggdrasill
Yggdrasill
Snift

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by VampiricPadraig Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:19 am

yeah, you need a 32-bit OS. You could try getting Virtualbox and then loading XP on it, crack it and run it.

Just a suggestion

EDIT: 1900 message on Wiffy :F
VampiricPadraig
VampiricPadraig
Admin

Wiffy Veteran

http://padraigfahy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by phlegms Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:09 am

Can you not try a different compatibility mode other than xp? They have ones going back to win '95.
phlegms
phlegms
Bomb-Omb

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Yggdrasill Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:13 am

phlegms wrote:Can you not try a different compatibility mode other than xp? They have ones going back to win '95.

Tried all of them.
Yggdrasill
Yggdrasill
Snift

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLaw Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:49 am

If you dont want to go down the virtual route, you can download a live windows image to put on a usb key and run it like that - similiar to live linux images.

Or if you need this program all the time you may need to intall a 32 bit os beside your 64bit os and dual boot it.

You cant be the only one with a problem like this, what are the other people in your class doing?
TheLaw
TheLaw
Dry Bones

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Yggdrasill Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:21 pm

TheLaw wrote:If you dont want to go down the virtual route, you can download a live windows image to put on a usb key and run it like that - similiar to live linux images.

Or if you need this program all the time you may need to intall a 32 bit os beside your 64bit os and dual boot it.

You cant be the only one with a problem like this, what are the other people in your class doing?

They all have(well not all, some people don't bother doing anything) 32 bit systems so they dont have a problem.
Yggdrasill
Yggdrasill
Snift

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Yggdrasill Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:19 am

Sisters laptop fell and now when it turns on it says operating system not found. Is it fecked? Or is there something I can do to fix it for her?
Yggdrasill
Yggdrasill
Snift

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLaw Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:34 am

Sounds like hard drive failure due to being dropped. HDD is an optical drive.

Does the lapper have built in diagnostics that you can acces at boot up, F2 F8 etc.
You could also try to boot up from a usb key OS, linux or Windows and try to scan the HDD that way.

The drive may be damamged but you may be a ble to fix the boot area and boot into it a couple of times to get your old stuff out.

The Hard drive usually can pop out the side after removing a cover or a couple of small screws - A new HDD is around 40-50 €. Just put the new one in and re-install your OS.

Or you harddrive controller on your motherboard is fried - was the lapper on and running when it was dropped?
TheLaw
TheLaw
Dry Bones

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Yggdrasill Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:06 am

TheLaw wrote:Sounds like hard drive failure due to being dropped. HDD is an optical drive.

Does the lapper have built in diagnostics that you can acces at boot up, F2 F8 etc.
You could also try to boot up from a usb key OS, linux or Windows and try to scan the HDD that way.

The drive may be damamged but you may be a ble to fix the boot area and boot into it a couple of times to get your old stuff out.

The Hard drive usually can pop out the side after removing a cover or a couple of small screws - A new HDD is around 40-50 €. Just put the new one in and re-install your OS.

Or you harddrive controller on your motherboard is fried - was the lapper on and running when it was dropped?

Thanks. re-installing wouldn't really be an option. Was bought it in a shop with vista installed on it and can't find any of the recovery discs that came with it.

It was on when it was dropped.
Yggdrasill
Yggdrasill
Snift

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLaw Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:28 pm

Your licence key should still work on the back if you obtained anothr copy of vista, either thru a friend or download from microsoft or a reputable torrent site etc.

I would try the usb method first. Here are some links :
http://tuts4tech.net/2009/07/14/creating-a-usb-bootable-xp-recovery-console/
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
http://theos.in/windows-xp/howto-install-windows-xp-on-a-usb-flash-or-pen-drive/

Note: I have used similiar methods in the past but none of the above. I use linux boot images and linux tools but from those links the ultimatebootcd looks very good for what you need. Use unetbootin to put the iso on a usb stick if you want.

Remember running fixmbr or fixboot on the drive in question may allow you to boot back into vista. you just need to boot up xp from a usb drive to run the commands -the third link might help
TheLaw
TheLaw
Dry Bones

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Yggdrasill Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:03 am

TheLaw wrote:Your licence key should still work on the back if you obtained anothr copy of vista, either thru a friend or download from microsoft or a reputable torrent site etc.

I would try the usb method first. Here are some links :
http://tuts4tech.net/2009/07/14/creating-a-usb-bootable-xp-recovery-console/
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
http://theos.in/windows-xp/howto-install-windows-xp-on-a-usb-flash-or-pen-drive/

Note: I have used similiar methods in the past but none of the above. I use linux boot images and linux tools but from those links the ultimatebootcd looks very good for what you need. Use unetbootin to put the iso on a usb stick if you want.

Remember running fixmbr or fixboot on the drive in question may allow you to boot back into vista. you just need to boot up xp from a usb drive to run the commands -the third link might help

Thanks for the help. How do I do that?
Yggdrasill
Yggdrasill
Snift

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by VampiricPadraig Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:46 am

You need a Windows Vista CD and you need to boot from CD. Where it says "Install Now" there should be a option on the bottom left for System Recovery (or similar). Click for Pic

The drive should show up, so select it and click "Continue" and then choose "Command Prompt".

PC Thread 205rzf4

When the Command Prompt appears, just type "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" or "bootrec.exe /fixboot" and then reboot!

PC Thread 12%20-%20fixmbr%20fixboot
VampiricPadraig
VampiricPadraig
Admin

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Yggdrasill Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:16 pm

Thanks. No drive showed up so I assume its fecked. It says "if you do not see your operating system listed, click Load Drivers to load drivers for your hard disks".
Yggdrasill
Yggdrasill
Snift

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLaw Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:06 am

At least the screen isnt cracked.

Replacing hard drive should be faily staight forward, new screen or ccfl lamp - fucking nightmare
TheLaw
TheLaw
Dry Bones

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by VampiricPadraig Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:27 pm

TheLaw wrote: new screen or ccfl lamp - fucking nightmare

This.
VampiricPadraig
VampiricPadraig
Admin

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Yggdrasill Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Sister turned off my fathers laptop when it was running a defrag and now its getting the blue screen of death when it turns on. I tried putting in the windows 7 install disc and running a repair but (after like a half hour) it said it was unable to solve any problems. Any help would be appreciated.
Yggdrasill
Yggdrasill
Snift

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by warrior00 Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:23 pm

Yggdrasill wrote:Sister turned off my fathers laptop when it was running a defrag and now its getting the blue screen of death when it turns on. I tried putting in the windows 7 install disc and running a repair but (after like a half hour) it said it was unable to solve any problems. Any help would be appreciated.

Press F8 on start up and do a system restore or load from last known good configuration. Either option will be there when u press F8.
warrior00
warrior00
Dry Bones

Back to top Go down

Post by Yggdrasill Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:02 am

warrior00 wrote:

Press F8 on start up and do a system restore or load from last known good configuration. Either option will be there when u press F8.

Yeah thats what I ended up doing like a minute after I posted the message and its working fine now. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Yggdrasill
Yggdrasill
Snift

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Marvolo Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Recommended specs for Skyrim. Gonna have a look and get an estimate on cost when I get home; anyone have ay idea around how much this would set me back? I'll be either building this, getting a ps3 or 360 to play it.

* CPU: Core 2 Quad 3 GHz
* RAM: 3 GB
* HDD: 15 GB free disk space
* Graphics: 512 MB Graphics Memory
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c

Supported Graphics Cards:

Minimum – 8800 GT
Recommanded – Geforce GTX 460/Radeon 5850
Marvolo
Marvolo
Dry Bones

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLaw Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Since an old model 360(Pre-owned) is around €100 in gamestop etc(even cheaper on Adverts), I would say that is the cheapest way to get playing it.

Unless the console version is a dumbed down PC version, then it might be worth the investment of a new PC if you need a new one. I dont think a single game is worth the investment.

I have a gaming rig from a year ago and it should play it, i think.
I also have an alienware m11X and i dont think that will play it on full settings, but it should run.
I will still get it on the 360 as all the lads i know, who will buy that instead of MW3 or BF3 or Dark souls, will be getting it for the 360 and its good chatting over live while playing, having a laugh etc. Mega RPGs like skyrims dont have to be a solitary experience thanks to perty chat.lol
TheLaw
TheLaw
Dry Bones

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Marvolo Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:20 pm

I thought 360s were a lot more! Suppose I'll go with that. If I could get a good enough deal it would have been pretty much for Skyrim and music production, but I'll be getting a macbook for that anyway. Don't really need both.
Marvolo
Marvolo
Dry Bones

Wiffy Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down